Seaweed Invasion

The weather continues to blow from the north and my hopes dim that we will get off the island tomorrow morning.  I’ve just e-mailed this to Captain DeBery who returns today from his brother’s wedding in Greece.

O Captain!  My Captain!

Welcome back!  I hope your trip to Greece was hugely eventful and that you sent your brother off down the isle in style.  We’ve been here for two weeks, by choice, but I’m worried if the weather from the last two days persists, you won’t be able to come for us tomorrow.  We have so much to do.  One friend of ours arrives on the afternoon bus and will stay the week.  When she departs on the 1st, another friend arrives for a three day stay.   Connie will try to come back on the 3rd for her overnight which she wasn’t able to take advantage of while you were away because Drew wouldn’t come out in the fog.

There are a lot of places we need to hit before that and our first stop will be to Wiscasette to a woman who opens shop at eight and will hopefully be able to fix the broken wing of one of Oliver’s offspring, if we can get it in a box and transport it.  France has been feeding Ollie, Junior and we’re hopeful that he won’t put up too much of a fuss when we capture it with a big fleece jacket.

I’ve sent the pictures just to see if you’ve dealt with this kind of glut in the cove before, undoubtedly dumped by the wind and swell out of the north that doesn’t seem to abate.  We have a lot of stuff to load and would require several trips in the dingy if you bring the big boat.  Low tide is at 6:22 so that should be in our favor in terms of loading the small boat at the shoreline.  I’ll stay tuned to forecasts and wait for your call.  Obviously if I don’t hear from you, we’ll be ready at seven, as discussed.

Looking forward to seeing you.


This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Seaweed Invasion

  1. Mary Ann Weddle says:

    Love the pictures of France with Ollie Junior. She was so sweet to Matthew and now she’s being just as sweet to Oliver’s son. Hope you are able to get him to Wiscasset to get his wing mended. What kind people you both are! You make the world a better place.

  2. debbie says:

    Hey Michael… I was thinking about Ollie J. and was wondering if his wings would get more injured inside a box. If you were to somehow be able to catch him and put him in a pillowcase and hold his wings down at his sides maybe he would feel more secure. I’m not an expert by any stretch of the word but I think he would feel safe if he were held tightly and unable to move. Just a thought…. Deb. xoxo

    • Thanks Debbie. Actually the people we’ve spoken with say the box is good if well ventilated. Once Ollie J is covered, they stop moving because they’re confused and don’t know what to do. I don’t think he’ll struggle. Yesterday he was attacked by a Great Black Back. France shooed it away but it was nasty. He seems OK so far and I think the windy weather will protect him. He stays hidden as best he can and comes out when France is there to feed him but we’re running out of everything and can’t leave the island today. I’m hoping the wind will turn around and we’ll be able to go to shore tomorrow. Thanks for your concern. Now there’s another chick who walks around with a limp… What’s happening here?

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s